Thursday 19 March 2015

Disciplining our kids


So my daughter is now 1year 9months old and I have decided to potty train her and not because a lot of the other mothers have been telling me to start but because I feel its time. This girl is not even two years old but her vocabulary!!Child can talk, like construct proper sentences that make sense.

She can tell you if you do something that she does not like and promise you  a beating  kkkk. And she can now tell right from wrong and she is the master manipulator. Like she knows when to flash you that adorable smile and make you melt, and if she sees that you not falling for the smile she goes in for the kill and says ’I love you’ tell me what type of person would not fall for that?


We been potty training for a week now and we still fighting, she does not know that she has to tell me that she wants to poo poo before she does it, this has really drove me to the edge. This one day I was so mad I ended up taking her hand and gave it two taps at the back she just stared at me like I was crazy, I then thought let me try doing it on her behind and still no reaction. Child you trying it!! I thought to myself and then I got the switch gave her two soft lashes accompanied by DID-I- NOT- TELL-YOU- NOT- TO- DO- THAT?

Needless to say she cried and later on as I sat thinking what a monster I was for doing that to her, I realised I just gave my princess her first spanking. Before becoming a mom I always thought to myself I will never be that mom that used physical disciplining methods, like growing up my mom would tell you to go outside and get your own switch and I would bring the smallest and she would tell me that if she went outside and got the switch I would call all my ancestors one by one.

I got my fair share of whooping so I was like I wont do that when I have kids, even told my mom so and she just said we will have this conversation again when I was a parent. How right she was. I always see white people tell their kids to go to their rooms or time-out, not to disrespect anyone but black babies do not care about time out you give them that and send them to a corner and they will still find a way to entertain themselves and enjoy that corner.


My problem now is how do I deal with my baby because she knows how to soften me up ,after doing her poo poo she comes over to me and starts kissing up on me and saying mummy mummy, mummy,mummy I  love you. Sorry mummy sorry mummy, and I melt then same routine tomorrow.

I have decided to leave the potty training for now till I get advice on how to go about it and I am retiring the switch lest I end up messing up my daughter and our relationship. This switch thing is not my ideal way of disciplining because I think it pains you more than the child. After you done you feel like a monster maybe I should try out the time-out method.

Being a parent is not an easy job, comes with a lot of work and pain. You try by all means to be a great parent but without spoiling them too much and turning them into brats.

Any tips are welcome

GodIsLove

Emma

1 comment: