Friday 16 October 2015

Comedy Roast comes to Skies



So my best accessory (my hubby) and I have been fans of stand up comedy for the longest time. We would stay up late watching the likes of Katt Williams, Dee Ray Davies, Monique to name a few, on Comedy Central.
So when our wedding MC Ntando Van Moyo started his own Umahlekisa Comedy Club in Bulawayo we were ecstatic, and have been supporting the movement since it started.

On Friday we had date night with my A1 (hubby) and we did The Comedy Roast of Ntando Van Moyo.
I don’t know why the Umahlekisa team decided not to inundate us with messages on social media platforms this time around.
It is a bit annoying to get a steady stream of messages from them advertising their show - especially when one is expecting a message from the bank that their salary has hit their account – but I must admit that this method of marketing has kept comedy fans in the loop about upcoming shows.
So to cut a long story short we were late for the roast and all because we were not sure of the date and time the show was pencilled for.
As a result when we arrived at the National Art Gallery I was disappointed to find the comedian who had made me run in heels so that we do not miss his act, Mandlenkosi Simbarashe, winding down his act.
Mandlenkosi Simbarashe
I am a big fan of this guy and I think he will go far but unfortunately I missed his act.
I understand another fella that the Roast host Long John kept referring to as “This other guy” had already done his act (Yes that is what they were calling him, “That Other Guy”)

Like I have already mentioned, the MC for the night was Long John and he tried his best to bring some life to the show but the response from the crowd was lukewarm.
Long John
The tickets for the show identified the Roast panel as consisting of Mandlenkosi Simbarashe, Marshal Da General, H.O, Gilmore T and PAN.
Gilmore T and Marshal da General did not turn up for the show but that did not stop those who did from taking a dig at them.
Nomsa and PAN

After the panel had tried but failed dismally to roast Ntando, it was his turn and boy oh boy did he save the night.
This guy had me in stitches and reminded me of my wedding day, kkkk.
He is in my opinion the best in Bulawayo and the reason why I am not saying in the country is simply because I heard from the roasters that he has twice come second best in the Namas, kkkkkk.
(I think I should have been part of that roasting panel.)


Anyways, despite the poor turn –out, I had fun and the truth is that the roasters were not too bad.
Maybe Ntando should have first established if those guys have access to a Dstv Premium bouquet because that way he would have been sure that they knew what a comedy roast is all about.
The comedy channel where the Comedy Central Roast shows appear ain’t available on Free to air..........(told you I should have been part of that panel).
Nkululeko Nkala makes a comment about the show












Big up to Ntando for the initiative to bring the comedy roast concept to Bulawayo and hopefully next time the idea will get support from local business, especially those in the meat industry because what comes to my mind when one talks about a roast is Amawoso, Braai, Gochi Gochi.
H.O dances with a fan during his set

You can follow Ntando Van Moyo The General on twitter to get updates on upcoming shows @ntandoyenkosi.



God Is Love


Emma

2 comments:

  1. Seems like you guys had great fun and laughs, I absolutely love your blog and have nominated you for the Infinity award. Check out the link at http://www.tribe53.com/?p=1222

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow thank you so much,may you send me the link via twitter?am failing to open it here,are you from Botswana?

    ReplyDelete